Many people already have a vague idea of what a virtual classroom is, and a quick internet search will bring up a varied range of results. You’ll quickly realise that it’s very different to a traditional classroom experience, however, in the synchronous virtual classroom setting, meaning real-time online teaching sessions, you do get a sense of a traditional face-to-face classroom setting, with a few extra perks.
How does a virtual classroom work?
A virtual classroom, or virtual learning environment (VLE), is an online teaching and learning environment that allows everyone involved to communicate and to discuss presentations, it aims to promote group engagement with all the online learning resources available.
By using a video conferencing application, multiple individuals can participate simultaneously via the internet, which also means that individuals from different parts of the world can participate.
In contrast to asynchronous learning environments, a synchronous virtual classroom gives you access to immediate feedback, direct engagement and interactive activities that are motivating and boost participation.
What does a virtual classroom look like?
Virtual classrooms are interactive spaces, often with access to a wide array of innovative tools, as well as animations, presentations, and multimedia to offer a lively experience.
Online classrooms can often be quite technologically-advanced, bringing you plenty of amazing features such as videoconferencing, breakout rooms, instant messaging tools, participation controls, interactive boards and white boards.
What are the advantages of a virtual classroom?
It probably goes without saying that there are many advantages to virtual classrooms, these are just some of the advantages that make online teaching and learning in this setting all the more enticing:
- Highly-engaging – The many interactive features and the general setting of virtual classrooms make online teaching and learning highly engaging.
- Collaborative – Learning in an online classroom’s group-focused setting is not only engaging, but also imparts a sense of community and a collaborative feeling.
- Universally Accessible – Virtual classrooms open up virtual doors for anyone wanting to learn just about anything, no matter where they are located in the world.
- Student-Centered – Virtual classrooms create an environment that’s highly focused on learning and developing new skills so the student gets the best possible tutoring/coaching experience.
- Psychologically Safe – Creates a hyper student-focused, yet comfortable environment where even the shiest of individuals can feel safe enough to participate and feel included.
- Immediate Feedback – Getting instant feedback from a tutor or coach allows the student or participant to quickly boost their performance and become efficient in their new skillset or area of study.
There are clearly many advantages and very few disadvantages to learning in online classrooms, and quick internet search can open up a world of virtual classes you and your colleagues can be a part of.
But how do you create a virtual classroom? Well, there are also many platforms available that can help you create a vibrant and interactive virtual classroom with all the tools necessary for online teaching and learning, whether it’s a virtual classroom for speech coaching, or teaching a language, the options are endless, all you have to do is a quick online search and get started.